Sunday, July 27, 2008

The First Post




Well,






This last week has been an interesting one. I've given up video games again, so this is one of the things I will do to try and fill that void. I hope that someone finds it interesting.






This last week we've been doing a couple of things to try and do better at remembering our family prayers. I have a notoriously terrible memory, so I've started using a hanger to remind me when I need to say family prayer. I leave it on my bed after we say morning prayers to remind me to say evening prayers before I go to bed. I've discovered how much I lay down before going to bed. That hanger as often as not hangs on the headboard as rests on the bed. But it is being effective. We are doing a LOT better at remembering to say family prayers.






This week I'm going to try and get up earlier and have a little bit of personal scripture study. This will likely be very difficult for me at least to start with as I am not naturally a morning person.






Since having quit virtual life and moving into this life I've decided there are several things I would like to try. Right now I'm digging into scuba. I've discovered that if you cut your fins down the middle they are more effective then if you have a solid fin. 20-40% more effective apparently something about propeller versus paddle technology.






Well we found out in order to get certified we have a couple of options in Arizona. One option is faster and cheaper then the other, but there is less instruction time. The second option provides a lot more training but is about 100-200 more expensive once you total all the costs. We looked at saguaro diving and scuba sciences. Still not sure what way we are going to go.






After all of that and some help from people on the phone (thanks Saguaro) and talking with some people in the Shop (thanks Scuba sciences). We learned a little more about how it all hooks together and what we need to do to get a little bit further. Since I have such little time off from work we may end up doing the faster one, but it would be nice to be able to spend the time with others in the scuba sciences class.






We are still trying to figure out the own/rent equipment decision and it's still too early for us to know what the right decision is for us. We checked out the scuba store and found that a starter kit (mask, fins, snorkle) cost about 100 bucks per set. M being the practical one suggested we hit our local bargain retailer and we were able to find a similar set (not smart enough yet to know the differences) for 20 bucks each. not a bad savings eh? (that's my Canadian side showing through)






So then we drove out to Lake Pleasant and checked out the new scuba gear. It was a lot of fun and we saw some fish and golf balls. I hope you enjoy the pictures :) Didn't seem like much but wow were we tired when we got home. The water was as warm as a bathtub it was great!




When we got home we were exausted but M had just enough left to make us up some great chicken fajitas and J prepped some carrot sticks for lunches the next week.









More exploits to follow soon!



2 comments:

Stu Finnigan said...

Scuba diving in a desert - now that will make a great newsletter article! Be sure to send pictures when you get through the training and all!
Love,
Dad

Ben said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I find it's always best to develop your main character in this life vs. the virtual. I guess you guys will have to get one of those new waterproof digital cameras now.