Sunday, December 13, 2009

Some of Our Favorite Christmas Things

The decorations are up, historically early too, at least for J and I. I'm still testing the camera, and I thought it would be fun to photograph some of our favorite Christmas decorations. Because, I think the pictures are so much more interesting with some background, I thought I would share their "stories" too.




This is a Christmas ornament that I forget about every year, and then when it comes out of the box, I inevitably smile. When J and I got married we strategically selected to have a limo pick us up. Well, that became ironic in itself because the company sent this obnoxious monster "Hummer" limo that I was embarressed to get into, but it did provide a sufficient disincentive to my teenage brother from getting carried away on either of our cars. (I think I had even assigned him to drive my car home.) Well, not to be completely neglected of the opportunity to decorate the "get away car," my sis presented us with this ornament 6 weeks later all decked out with our names, and a "Just Married." It is perfect, we get to enjoy it every year and in January, clean up is so easy.



This ornament is an heritage of M's grandma. These angel hair Christmas balls were always on her tree. We now have the only two I know of that still exsist. I think they add a wonderful touch to our Christmas tree.



I scavenged this nativity scene from my mom a couple of years ago. I believe she received it as a gift from my Uncle Kenny and my Aunt Linda. I have always loved it. I love the Native American children depicted reinacting the birth of our Savior. I am sure it isn't historically or culturally accurate, but it reminds me of the Book of Mormon and the excitement, they had on the American continent when the sign of the Savior's birth was given.



This is the only item on today's Favorite things list that isn't a Christmas decoration, but it is a gift, so I think it still works. J and I didn't have a welcome met for the first 3+ years we've lived in our house. We didn't really miss it either... its Phoenix... there is no snow to wipe off before you come in the house. It wasn't until one of the ward members suggested she leave some paperwork for me under our doormat that I realized we didn't have one. We came up with an alternate plan and I was a little embarrassed that this small item had never made it home. Later, I recounted the story to someone else. Well, one of those two or three people anonymously dropped this off on our doorstep one day. It was a cheerful act of kindness that made me smile when I discovered it, and still makes me smile.



I hope your Christmas is filled with your favorite things!

1 comment:

Jen B said...

Camera is doing well - nice shots! - I completely forgot about the VWBug! And I'm sentimental to some of grandmas' ornaments too! I think you should take some more pictures - the entire tree maybe?